Friday, April 10, 2009

A Non-Peep-Eater's Guide to Handling Peeps

Yes, it's that time again. The sun begins shining a bit more, the daffodils start to bloom and the Peeps are back in stores.

Peep obsession has always boggled me. And those who like the taste of the sugary, corn syrupy birds boggle me even more. I was never really a big fan of them, and yet every year, there they were in my basket. It's like the parent manual states that there must be a packet of peeps in every child's Easter basket regardless of how many times they tell you they hate them. I still get them. But thankfully now I know what to DO with them . . .

So officially, here it is, my dedicated post to non-peep eaters. Here is a basic sampling of things to do with your stash of Peeps: from elegant and refined to downright trashy!

Cup-o-peep: I thought this was a super cute idea (more for the presentation then anything-but in my line of work presentation is key). Peep marshmallows in hot chocolate on Easter morning. Oh Dee Doh earns major points in my book for this cute number. And to transcend generations, add a peep to coffee for the grown-ups. Add some Bailey's in the coffee and I might even enjoy the peep-mallows with you!

Peeps! the book (it's almost like a bad off-broadway title: Peeps! The Musical!-although after what I found on the internet with these things, I wouldn't be surprised if it existed) gives you more fun food ideas to incorporate your peeps into. When I looked in the book, the Peeps and their friends were more of a garnish, but still I give the author some creative points. I mean, she made an entire book of these guys-and in a cute, fun and family friendly way. It would make a cute novelty gift for a hostess or party-loving friend at your next spring get together-or anyone obsessed with incorporating peeps into e v e r y t h i n g.





Peep-o-matic: Yes, there really is a make-your-own-peep machine. I guess it's only fitting that it's made by Wham-O. I'm still trying to figure out why there's a coupon for more Peeps on the box if you're already making your own . . . Either way, you too could create your very own assortment of REAL (see box) peepy friends for only $26! Additional peep ingredient kits not included.





The Peep Show: Not that I would encourage anyone to create things like this in their spare time, but you have to admit it is pretty funny!














And lastly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I18FIrE5xfk Peep jousting. My brother and I discovered this when we were young and it's been a fun activity ever since-although made even better with the inclusion of different colors (we started with yellow vs yellow when we were kids, made it difficult to keep track of which was which when the microwave was spinning). I would recommend putting your peeps onto a paper plate for easy disposal as the peep's marshmallowy insides get a bit difficult to deal with after cooking.

Have any additional peep-y activities that are part of your own Easter traditions? Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear what you do!

2 comments:

  1. You didn't mention PEEP Jousting... why is this? It is such a traditional and archaic ritual. I thought for sur eyou would have made a small statement about this grand spectacle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did mention Peep Jousting, but for ease of use, I've now made the phrase bold and italicized so it won't get missed anymore-grand spectacle yes, so much so that it needs to be made more obvious so my readers can see it!

    Thank you!
    -B

    ReplyDelete